Thursday, October 31, 2013

Linux from a management standpoint. Why you should hate Linux.

Many folk who deal with services on a daily basis are brainwashed with those stories like "Haha - look at this guy, he's keeping all of his servers on Windows", or "Sorry sir but we won't setup a server for you on this shit" (when I'm trying to get help from a freelancers for setting up VoIP service on my Windows Server).
I'm totally love Linux, and I'm even can call myself a Linux fanboy, and yes Linux systems are great for big companies, where even a little lack of stability breaks the productivity and couldn't be afforded.
But from the standpoint of someone who just need a working solution, when somebody says "Don't even look at Windows when you try to setup a Web-Server / FTP / VoIP / or something else", its like trying to close your eyes, close the door for the opportunity: it tries to take you away from the truth that sometimes you don't need such a great quality or response from your server.
I have a story - during 10 years I've had my own ISP service with over 200 customers in the area which used my server as the way to connect to the Internet, and the paid me money for that. Yes Internet connection was creepy, and server was unstable, but money was REAL, and I got a lots of money from such unhappy customers (whcih probably wasn't that unhappy as I exaggerate)
And those business with ISP I've had failed only because of one reason: lack of marketing. Why did I failed at marketing? Because of Linux users who brainedwashed me that I have to spend much of my time trying to provide users with greater quality, while the only thing my Local Area Network required me to do - is to connect much more users! That's stupid, isn't it? So the moral for the service/IT manager's standpoint is: USE Linux, only if you've got a LOTS of MONEY, and LOTS of CUSTOMERS, or if you have a BIG COMPANY. Linux is a complete solution, but not for the start ups, and is not definitely cheapest way. Its just the best way which requires too much efforts
P.S. I found Axon Virtual PBX Windows solution for my VoIP service which I wanted to have at my another start up company, and I'm so happy with it now, since I had a whole weeks of procrastination just because I had no ways of making calls through exclusive internal VoIP service which my agents needed so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment